On 18 November 2019, the Regulator amended the Customer Service Code
to take effect on 25 November 2019.
The Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008 establishes an economic regulatory framework for the provision of water and sewerage services.
This incorporates a customer service standards framework for the sector, including the requirement that the Water and Sewerage Economic Regulator (the Regulator) issue a Customer Service Code specifying minimum service standards and conditions for regulated services with which a regulated entity must comply.
The Water and Sewerage Industry (Customer Service Standards) Regulations 2019 specify matters that must, or may, be included in the Customer Service Code. The Code is also able to address other matters in addition to those required under the Regulations.
On 1 July 2010, the Regulator issued Version 1 of the Customer Service Code.
Revised versions of the Customer Service Code have since been published:
- Version 2 - 12 April 2013
- Version 3 - 29 April 2015
- Version 4 - published 24 June 2015 with an effective date of 1 July 2015 (fast track amendments)
- Version 5 - published 29 June 2018 with an effective date of 1 July 2018 (fast track amendments)
- Version 6 - 25 November 2019 (fast track amendments to reflect the Water and Sewerage Industry (Customer Service Standards) Regulations 2019)
Information concerning amendments to the Customer Service Code and the relevant consultation processes, may be found here